Construction Gateway in Birmingham
The Construction Gateway scheme aims to find local, high quality jobs for people wanting to enter the construction sector. With the West Midlands experiencing exceptional economic growth, the construction industry is benefiting from billions of pounds worth of investment. HS2 and other major infrastructure projects will also require significant additional talent from the construction sector.
The West Midlands Combined Authority’s (WMCA) bespoke Construction Gateway programme, has made it an absolute priority to ensure that these jobs are rooted in the region and that local construction projects equate to local jobs. Benefitting from strategic investment in large infrastructure projects including HS2 and the Commonwealth Games. Labour market projections have highlighted construction as a key growth sector in the West Midlands, with estimations of up to 100,000 opportunities for trained workers in the construction industry over the next 10 years.
The WMCA’s Construction Gateway provides formal, job entry construction training through both classroom provision and practical onsite experience with Tier 1 employers and their supply chain.
Individuals gain qualifications that are essential to work on any site, such as the Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) card, and more in-depth courses such as the City and Guilds accredited Level 2 NVQ in rail engineering track maintenance, CPCS or NPORS Plant operator tickets and also more traditional skills such as plastering or dry lining. However, recently introduced training programmes around green technologies have also proved popular based upon the increasing number of job roles.
The Construction Gateway programmes are provided by local colleges and specialist sector training providers in partnership with the WMCA and recruiting employers. If you want to find out more on which course is best for you call the National Careers Service on 0121 296 5550 and quote ‘Construction Gateway’ for details of employer-led training for jobs. To qualify, you will need to live in the West Midlands Combined Authority area. Alternatively, details of courses currently running near you can be found here.
Within Birmingham, Construction Gateway is delivered by:
- DUDLEY COLLEGE OF TECHNOLOGY
- SANDWELL COLLEGE
- SOLIHULL COLLEGE AND UNIVERSITY CENTRE
- SOUTH & CITY COLLEGE BIRMINGHAM
- WALSALL COLLEGE
Independent training providers
- Intertrain UK Ltd (Available in Birmingham, Dudley, Solihull, Walsall and Wolverhampton)
- Vocation Training Ltd (Available in Birmingham, Coventry, Dudley, Sandwell, Walsall and Wolverhampton)
- Mercury Training Services Limited (Available in Birmingham, Dudley, Sandwell and Wolverhampton)
- Professional Quality Management Services Limited (Available in Birmingham, Coventry, Dudley, Sandwell, Solihull, Walsall and Wolverhampton)
- RMF Construction Training Academy Ltd (Available in Birmingham, Coventry, Dudley, Sandwell, Solihull and Wolverhampton)
- The Skills Centre London Ltd (Available in Birmingham, Coventry, Dudley, Sandwell, Solihull, Walsall and Wolverhampton)
- Momentum Recruitment Limited (Available in Birmingham)
- INFRA Skills Ltd (Available in Birmingham, Coventry, Sandwell, Solihull, Walsall and Wolverhampton)
- Learning into Employment Academy Limited (Available in Sandwell, Solihull, Walsall and Wolverhampton)
- Vocational Skills Solutions (Available in Birmingham, Sandwell and Wolverhampton)
- Phoenix Training (Midlands) Ltd (Available in Birmingham)
- Back 2 Work Complete Training Ltd (Available in Birmingham, Coventry, Sandwell, Solihull, Walsall and Wolverhampton)
More information on AEB and our Providers in the West Midlands can be found here.
We have also developed new onsite Construction Training Hubs with major developers currently they are available at:
- Lendlease Perry Barr Residential Scheme, Wellhead Lane, Perry Barr, Birmingham, B42 2SY
- South and City College, HS2 Training Hub, Bordsley Green, Birmingham, B9 5NA