Skip to main content

Whistleblowing Policy

How to Raise a Concern

  1. As a first step, you should normally raise concerns with your immediate line manager or their manager. This depends, however, on the seriousness and sensitivity of the issues involved and who is suspected of the malpractice. For example, if you believe that management is involved, you should approach the Monitoring Officer or Internal Audit.
  2. Concerns may be raised orally or in writing. Officers who wish to make a written report about their concerns are requested to provide the following information:
    1. The background to and history of the concern (giving relevant dates); and
    2. The reason why you are particularly concerned about the situation.
  3. This can be reported via the WMCA website ‘Contact Us’ page ( ). For anonymity you are able to leave the name fields blank. Ensure that Whistleblowing and Fraud has been selected as the subject. Alternatively an email can be sent to
  4. The earlier you express a concern, the easier it is to take action.
  5. Although you are not expected to prove beyond doubt the truth of an allegation, you will need to demonstrate to the person contacted that there are reasonable grounds for your concern.
  6. Advice/guidance on how to pursue matters of concern may be obtained from the Monitoring Officer.
  7. You may wish to consider discussing your concern with a colleague first and you may find it easier to raise the matter if there are two (or more) of you who have had the same experience or concerns.
  8. You may invite your trade union, professional association representative or a friend to be present during any meetings or interviews in connection with the concerns you have raised.